We Run is the biggest network providing running coaching in the UK.
In this week’s episode we interview the Director John White.
Many of the We-Run coaches have self-funded their development and have worked in a voluntary capacity in running clubs before joining the service
They all have UK Athletics running qualifications and the necessary insurance cover.
Here are the primary services We-Run coaches provide:
- Runner’s MOT covering warming up and cooling down, stretching, a head-to-toe running technique makeover, recommendations for doing speed training and a written report.
- One-to-one ongoing personalised coaching.
- Bespoke training plans.
- Online running coaching.
In a wide-ranging interview John included the following topics:
- Benefits of warming up and cooling down properly.
- Increasing awareness that running is a technical activity that can be improved.
- Mental strategies such as seeking accountability and having training buddies.
- Benefits from getting personalised one-to-one coaching.
- Dangers of following free training plans downloaded online.
- Rewards from educating runners and getting their feedback.
- Challenges involved in getting the running market to value specialist coaching services.
- Unique opportunities available for running coaching in the UK. And…
- Running mindsets that benefit most from coaching.
As this interview runs for more than 30 minutes, here are the time stamps for each of the questions we asked:
00:31 Why choose running coach over a personal trainer?
01:29 What do runners get from coaching that they can’t get from their own research?
03:16 What type of runner benefits most from coaching?
04:14 What are the biggest mistakes you see runners making before being coached?
07:56 What single piece of advice would you give to runners looking to improve?
09:36 How did We-Run get up and running?
14:36 What was your biggest challenge setting We-Run up?
17:11 Would you have done anything differently?
18:10 What do runners get with We-Run coaching that they can’t find in clubs?
20:04 What do you find is the most popular form of coaching?
23:21 What do you enjoy most about running the coaching network?
24:18 What’s your current single biggest challenge?
27:00 Are there any plans to offer online or even in-person coaching internationally?
28:15 What are your immediate plans for taking the service forward?
29:04 Who would be the typical runner that We-Run can help the most?
32:34 Are there many female coaches?
32:57 Where can viewers go to find out more about what you offer?