In this episode we dive deeper into nutrition strategies for athletes in part 2 of our interview with Tom Bainbridge.
Tom is co-host on the fantastic Ben Coomber Radio show which went from being a university student hobby to being the number one health and fitness podcast!
Tom and Body Type Nutrition also teach a great nutrition course, so if you’d like to learn more from them be sure to check out their website for more info.
Here’s an outline of the topics we discussed:
- Factors determining your muscle fibre composition and how it affects your training.
- Implications of using animal fats for fuel compared to plant-based fats.
- Changes in body composition and physiology when you become a fat-adapted athlete
- The influence of your diet on your lactate threshold.
- Different types of carbohydrates and their impacts on athletic performance and general health.
- Why endurance athletes can be prone to illness if they don’t eat properly.
- Foundation diets and additional energy requirements for exercise.
- The case for easily absorbed carbs.
- The right way to incorporate shakes into your diet.
- How you know you’re using the right fuels at the right time.
- The best ways to incorporate ‘Train Low, Compete High’ strategies.
- The 4 biggest takeaways to eat well and become a stronger athlete.
As this interview runs for more than 20 minutes, here are the time stamps for each of the questions we asked:
0.34 Can muscle fibre composition change with training?
8.00 Are there performance differences between using animal fats and plant-based fats for fuel?
9.31 Is there a change in body composition of fat-adapted athletes?
15.30 What about the different qualities of carbohydrate?
20.55 Should you replace a healthy breakfast with meal replacement shakes?
25.30 What is metabolic flexibility and how does it help athletes?
27.45 What takeaways do you have on nutrition strategies for athletes?